The Palmer Collection at Memorial Library.
In May 1975 the Palmer Collection, named for E. Lawrence Palmer, Cortland Normal School Class of 1908, was presented to the Memorial Library by his widow and son. The Collection consisted of books and periodicals, Boy Scout memorabilia, and a portrait of Palmer by SUNY Cortland artist, George Dugan. Palmer's best known work is Fieldbook of Natural History. On this subject, he wrote other books and articles for periodicals, especially the Cornell Rural School Leaflets. The Collection had earlier been culled by Cornell University and much of the printed material was no longer current. The Collection was located adjacent the Special Collections Room. Eventually the Collection was dispersed.
The Boy Scout memorabilia was placed on permanent loan with the Baden-Powell Council headquarters in Dryden, where it could be displayed. The portrait by Dugan was added to the Art Department Collection in Dowd Fine Arts Building.
At the time the collection was presented, a Palmer Scholarship for a junior or senior student with a grade point average of 3.0 or better who has demonstrated interest and activity in environmentally-related areas to be given at the Honors Convocation, was announced. It was not endowed and when the principal was used up, the award was discontinued.
Buildings, Architecture, Memorial Library